Judy Woods: Pillar of Ku-ring-gai Football

Judy Woods: Pillar of Ku-ring-gai Football

Judy became involved with football through her family’s involvement with Kissing Point Sports Club. The club history reports that in 1970 Judy played in the annual Under 9 football match between the mothers and their sons. It is reported that fellow Life Member (and husband), Rod Woods, refereed the match. Judy’s son Alan was in the son’s team and wife Judy in the mother’s team.

Judy officially became involved with the Ku-ring-gai and District Soccer Association (KDSA) as the Junior Registrar/Recorder in 1976. Judy assumed this role during the year when Sid Graves retired due to severe illness. Sid unfortunately passed away in September 1976.

In 1979 Judy again volunteered to fulfil the role of Junior Registrar/Recorder for the KDSA and held this position until 1983. In 1979, new registration procedures were introduced requiring each player having to show proof of age. Judy’s son, Alan, recalls the family dining room table being the area where Judy ran the responsibilities of her role.  He also recalls many families coming to the Wood’s home with their forms and documents in hand.  A tireless task considering there were no computers or spreadsheets!

Once the registration process was completed and the season commenced, Judy’s role of Recorder commenced. This involved the recording of Match Cards and results for every Junior game played. Judy would also double check the player’s eligibility each week and provide scores to the Grading Committee and the local newspaper on a weekly basis.

In 1983, Judy became the Chair of the KDSA Grading Committee. The Grading Committee had procedures in place for the grading of teams into various age group divisions. This involved the clubs submitting information so the Committee had a guide to allow them to hopefully ensure teams were not winning or losing all the time. Regrading during the season helped ensure that divisions remained competitive, especially in the younger age groups.

In 1987 and 1988, Judy again returned to the position of Junior Registrar/Recorder. Judy decided not to stand for this position again in 1989; however her daughter Peta held the role in 1989 and 1990. Judy’s last position with the KDSA was in 1989 as the Grounds Controller.

Judy’s husband, Rod Woods, was involved with the Association from 1968 until 1989. Judy was known to support Rod and other Committee members in their roles and offered her own home to help run the Association. It was through her roles and support of the Association and her continual work behind the scenes that so many families from across the Northern Suburbs were able to join the great community of football. Judy enjoyed watching her family play football and is thankful for the friends she made through football.

Judy was honoured with Life Membership of the Association in 1983. We thank Judy for all her volunteer work which has helped see the Association grow into what it is today.

Our Partners

Auto One
Besteam Sport
Football NSW
Foundation IT
Northern Tigers
Wahroonga Village Podiatry