2018 Competition divisions have now been finalised and our competitions staff are in the process of arranging the fixtures for the season, which begins on the weekend of Saturday, April 7.
The first two weeks of fixtures for each division will be released ASAP, with full-season fixtures due to be released before the beginning of the season.
Following a competitions review last year that included consultations with clubs, this year will see a number of changes to the structure of competitions. The key changes are summarised below. Our fundamental principle has been to maximise competition game time and provide all players with value for money with more competition games.
- The introduction of a 17 round competition (less washouts) with a two week final series for all even team divisions in Junior Mixed, and Junior Girls (1 v 4, 2 v 3 – winners progress to grand final). Women’s divisions will have a 19 round competition (less washouts) with a two week final series.
- To schedule 17 competition games we will not be able to achieve perfectly “equal” competitions where each team plays each other the same amount of times. The draw is randomly generated prior to the commencement of the season so there will be no bias at play. For example, in an 8 team competition you will play each team twice (14 Games), and three other teams a third time (total of 17 Games without washouts).
- We have a focus on minimising odd team divisions where some of these structural changes are not possible to implement.
- The grand final winner will be declared the “Final Series Winner”. First past the post in every division will be referred to as the “Premiers”.
- Invitation to participate in Champion of Champions will still be decided by the team that finishes as “Premiers” (First Past The Post) in Division 1 of each age group.
- To facilitate 19 weeks of play there will be no Gala Day for Junior Mixed, and Junior Girls Competitions. Our MiniRoos Gala Day (Under 6 to Under 11) remains as per 2017.
- We will publish the entire season draw prior to the commencement of the season.
- Senior Men’s Competitions that feature eight or 12 teams will have a finals series. Competitions that have ten teams will also have a final series on the proviso that all competition games are completed by the 12th August 2018.